Name: Carleton St Peter Number: 19 Location: Carleton Marshes
Compartment Status Information
Compartment 19 comprises approximately 3600m of floodbank on the left bank of the River Yare and covers an area of 270 hectares. There are a few historical sites within the compartment such as the remains of Langley Abbey, founded by Roger Fitz Roger of Clavering in 1195, as well as Monks Loke drainage pump built around 1840 and a medieval house on The Green. Recorded archaeological findings include a lower Palaeolithic hand axe as well as medieval pottery, arrowheads, coins, Ampulla and evidence of medieval peat cutting. A sailing club and Beauchamp Arms public house are located at the end of Ferry road on the River Yare in the upstream end of the compartment.