Compartment 17 includes a 4150m stretch of floodbank protecting Postwick Marshes on the right bank of the River Yare.
Within the compartment there are many historical sites including an early Saxon Age Round House discovered and excavated in 1935, 19th century Postwick Hall, sites of former drainage mills and the site of a 2nd World War pillbox. Archaeological findings recorded are Neolithic flint tools, Roman sestertius of Antoninus Pius and of Marcus Aurelius, Roman coins, Saxon axe head and various medieval artefacts.
The flood alleviation works have been designed though, to date, have not received planning approval.
Although there is only one short footpath within the compartment, the Wherrymans Way long distance footpath runs along the bank opposite. This compartment is very popular for fishing with important angling sites being the Broads 24 hour mooring areas at Ferry Lane and Bramerton, there are also excellent opportunities for fishing from boats along the length of the compartment. Three angling clubs are located within the compartment; Norwich Union and Wroxham Angling Clubs who fish alongside Postwick Hall as well as Brundall Angling club who fish from the bank at the downstream end of the compartment.