Name: Compartment 19, Carleton Marshes Location: Carleton Beck to Langley Dyke, River Yare
Compartment 19 comprises approximately 3600m of floodbank on the right bank of the River Yare and covers an area of 270 hectares. There important historical sites within the compartment such as the remains of Langley Abbey, founded by Roger Fitz Roger of Clavering in 1195, as well as Monks Loke drainage pump built around 1840 and a medieval house on The Green. Recorded archaeological findings include a lower Palaeolithic hand axe as well as medieval pottery, arrowheads, coins, Ampulla and evidence of medieval peat cutting. Buckenham Sailing Club and The Beauchamp Arms public house are located at the upstream end of the compartment.
The river bank is an important match fishery controlled by Great Yarmouth and Norfolk County Angling Association. There are private moorings at Langley Dyke and the Sailing Club together with visitor moorings for patrons of the pub.
During and after
Obtained 26th April 2013